Monday, August 8, 2011

Tools for Success

Last week I talked about the literal ups and down of my weight loss journey.  Now I'd like to share a few of my favorite things that help me stay motivated and healthy.

In order for me to be successful at being healthy, I pretty much have to inundate myself with "healthy propaganda".  All of these things help me stay on track during the day.


1- Jillian Michaels DVDs, specifically The Biggest Winner

This is my favorite set of workout DVDs ever!  There are 5 discs including 2 backside workouts, 2 frontside workouts, and 1 kickboxing workouts.  I have all of Jillian's DVDs and these never get old!  They are each very difficult and effective.  I love her model of "high intensity interval training" or "HIIT".  She does short burst of exercises moving through a variety of muscle group incorporating strength training and cardio to burn the most calories possible.  I think they are just as challenging as Ripped in 30 and 30 Day Shred.  I like these because she uses reps instead of seconds.  Also, there is a minimal amount of repeat.  Plus, since there are 5 DVDs, I never know what's coming.  I only have a 30 min window everyday and these fit in perfectly! 

2- Magazines

I love reading health magazines.  A lot!  I get six a month (don't worry, I find deals and get them for about $2/year/mag on Tanga.com).  My favs are Shape, Self, and Weight Watchers.  These inspire me because they have real life stories, recipes, and workout tips.  They also have lots of information on free workouts, takeaway cards, and training plans.  I rip out the recipes I like and have a never-ending list of dinner ideas. 



3- Daily Plate on livestrong.com

This website offers a free calorie counter with every food imaginable in it.  You can even create your own recipes.  It allows you to put in your weight loss goals and tells you how many calories to eat.  You can track exercise as well.

4- Jillian Michaels podcast

I am in love with this podcast!  It is not typical, yelling Jillian.  Of course she talks about fitness and diet, but she also talks about health in general.  I have learned a ton about eating organic, mental health, GMO foods, sleep, and even medical rights!  It really is very helpful and informative.  It is a great way to fill a boring car ride or walk.  I look forward to them every week.  These podcasts have really made me think twice about everything I put in my mouth.  I also have a new perspective on exercise and fitness.  I follow Jilliano on Facebook for some extra inspiration. 


5- Roni Noone, ronisweigh.com, greenlitebites.com

I kind of found Roni on accident when I started WeightWatchers a few years ago.  She has a blog, ronisweigh.com, where she shares her weight loss journey of over 80 pounds, six years ago.  It has blossomed into way more than that and is now her job.  She shares her daily battle to eat healthy and exercise and is very inspiring.  I follow her on Facebook more some extra motivation, too.  She also has a great site, greenlitebites.com, that is full of awesome, easy, and delicious recipes, that happen to be healthy.  I steal her ideas on a weekly basis.

These are just a few of my favorites... any other suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment